Sunday, December 23, 2007

Waiting for the shoe

A few weeks ago, the second son and his girlfriend went to my husband's office party. Then, my son called my husband and asked if he and his girlfriend could have lunch with him. My hubby said yes and they went out for sushi. During lunch, my son told his dad they were looking for a new place to live; he's considering going to the Art Institute and he and his girl need new jobs. They asked if he had a job for either of them, which he doesn't.
These were bold words for the two of them, but reality soon checked in: my son stopped cold on the Art Institute when he realized he had to contact his high school for his transcripts. The job search consisted of asking dad for a job. They can't afford housing in our town, let alone the larger, more expensive city where they were looking.
I think we're being courted for something. A few days ago, my son called and asked to bring over some laundry. When he brought it over, in walked his girlfriend with him who began chatting away as if she'd never considered avoiding me. I asked them to meet us all for Thai food later and they joined us. They are coming over for Christmas eve service, party and present opening and then the girlfriend asked if she could come over Christmas morning. I told her she could stay over in the guest room if she wanted and she agreed.
I accept the girlfriend coming around as a blessing but somehow it feels as if there's something more to come. On the one hand, they are saying good things but on the other, they are doing what they've been doing.
We'll just wait and see. And watch out the shoe doesn't knock one of us out.

4 comments:

Fran said...

Merry Christmas Kathy! I'll be praying for your family and that it is truly a time of fellowship and fun! Don't get knocked out by any shoe!!

Christmas hugs~
Fran

Darla said...

praying for you and yours! love you, Merry Christmas!

Susan said...

Hey Kathy.

I'm sorry that you y'all feel you are waiting for the other shoe to drop but glad you are on your toes about it.

Keeping you in my prayers during this season!

Susan

He Knows My Name said...

hey kathy, i'm just stopping by to say i hope and pray 2008 brings good things to you and your family. please pray that for me too. we have to believe God to be big for our kids. He loves them more that we do. He will go after the one. amen.

i look forward to knowing you more this year and lifting each other up to the Lord.

your friend ~janel