Thursday, July 17, 2008

mother thought

My little nephew is turning 7. He has twin big sisters who turned 11 last month. It's my SIL's family and they live in California. We don't see them very often. In fact, the last time I saw them was for my oldest's graduation from high school. We were chatting on the phone and she said that you yearn for this concept of family, not realizing that it isn't a static thing that you can hold onto. You imagine a house full of perpetual preschoolers and suddenly you have a house full of pre-teens. And I said suddenly you have a house that isn't full at all.
I read the blogs of younger moms with younger kids and the joy of motherhood explodes off the pages. They are giddy at their good fortune; most are hitting their stride. The most difficult part of mothering is hovering in the distant future: the letting go. We must decrease in the lives of our offspring so they can live fully on their own. I suspect we mothers all say we know that our children are only borrowed but somewhere along the way our hearts don't process the message. Somehow it always is shocking when moving day arrives and they are off on their own.
I would be content to park in phase one of mothering and live forever but God is always pushing me on into the current of life. Enjoy the view but don't put up a tent.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I like that, "Enjoy the view but don't put up a tent." My kiddos are all married -- and the first year with them gone was tough. But it IS indeed part of the job. Truth to tell, I like this role. This guide on the side thing. And then...there are the little ones...their little ones. So the cycle begins again.

He Knows My Name said...

kathy, this is so well written. this is a little off your thoughts but my mind went here.

i am guilty of living in the past. i never was good at taking my tents down. i just move from one to another. keeping all my past tents up. like when i go in the basement and try to throw their belongings away from years ago even baby things, i tear up get stuck and say i'll be able to do this another day and never can achieve my goal of a clean basement. i pick up things and literally can remember specific times and days i had with them so by holding on to these things i'm trying to hold on to years gone. now i can justify my grandson can use these things. oh, my!!!

coney island looked fun. i'm not a height person either.

hugs, janel